Wednesday 12 September 2012

Imperial War Museum North.

I took a trip down to Manchester as my dad told me about the Imperial War Museum and thought I could take alot of inspiration from the visit. He wasn't wrong I was blown away by the museum it was incredible they had something from every war starting from the first world war to the war in Iraq today. As I walked into the museum the first thing I came across was a sculpture called The Crusader a spectacular seven meter high sculpture by artist Gerry Judah. His sculpture was his own summery of what he thought of the war and how he took it. My first take on the sculpture before reading what it was meant to represent was that it looked like a million spider legs all stuck to plaster of paris only to discover it had nothing to do with spiders.
Image of Sculpture on display in the Main Exhibition Space at IWM North

I also came across what looked like a pile of burnt metal which was actually once a car. The car was destroyed by a bomb in a market centre in Baghdad on the 5th March 2007.
Image of the car damaged by the Al-Mutanabbi Street bombing

There was so much to this museum I could have spent all day there but I couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for the comments, I will be sure to comment back.