Wednesday 12 September 2012

Crosby Beach !

Possibly one of the best days out iv'e had. Over the summer holidays I was dragging my dad here there and everywhere, which he wasn't to excited about due to the price of diesel but I managed to get him to a few places. Crosby beach has always been on my to do list of things I need to see ! Iv'e always seen images of it and thought how wonderful it looked and I finally got to go see it for myself. I was so impressed by the statues and they way they were eroding gracefully. All the statues are placed around the beach at different heights some of them are at waist hight and some of them our raised and about 6ft. As I wasn't sure how many statues there were I attempted to count them but there really was to many and there was new ones appearing further out in the distance. Here is a little on the artist who created there magnificent sculptures of himself. 

Another Place consists of 100 cast-iron, life-size figures spread out along three kilometers of the foreshore, stretching almost one kilometre out to sea. Contractors spent three weeks lifting the figures into place and driving them into the beach on the-metre-high foundation piles.

The Another Place figures - each one weighing 650 kilos - are made from casts of the artist's own body and are shown at different stages of rising out of the sand, all of them looking out to sea, staring at the horizon in silent expectation.

Iron Man on Beach   

I am really lucky I got to go see the statues and will most definitely be visiting there again apart from the chips were RUBBISH so I will be taking a picnic this time !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for the comments, I will be sure to comment back.