Wednesday 11 January 2012

Maxi Skirt.

These are my adapted patterns for a maxi skirt.

Adapted patterns put on to paper ready to trace off final pattern.

This is my waist band with the interfacing ironed on. The interfacing stiffens the waistband and helps hold the structure.

This is a invisible zip.



This is a photo of the front and back skirt sewn together. I still have to add the waistband and hem the skirt.

This is the end of the waistband turned inside out. I have turned one side up by 1.5cm as a guide to finish           
the waistband when I come to top stitch it down.

A pinned waistband ready to sew on to the top of the skirt.

This is the maxi skirt complete with a hem, waistband and button hole fastening.

Well my tutor and I were pleased with this creation! I did not moan once, although the thought of making a maxi skirt was a very daunting idea. I thought this skirt would be more complicated as I had to make it longer which meant extending the pattern out and therefore there would be more Maths involved. The great thing is I actually thought it was very easy because I only had to put three patterns together and because it was larger it was easier to pin. I found that creating the actual pattern is the hardest part as I am terrible at Maths. Luckily good old Trish, the support tutor who helps me, was on hand. Once I had the measurements I managed to create my pattern quickly. When it came to cutting out my pattern I learnt a very valuable lesson and that is to make sure it's cut out neatly. If the pattern is not cut out neatly then the garment won't line up properly and could look wonky, making life harder in the long run. Due to the way the maxi skirt was cut out, when it came to ironing and hemming it I therefore struggled as it wasn't even. Asking for help off my tutor I learnt how to iron the fabric in a way to make the pattern line up. I did this by pushing and pulling the fabric tightly so it reached the mark I needed and then I sewed a loop so it wouldn't move. After overcoming the minor hiccups I managed to sew my skirt together and  I was really pleased with my outcome. I was very excited with my material as I chose to use a bed sheet I have had for years. It's a magical bed sheet as the fairies glow in the dark. There aren't many people who can say they own a maxi skirt that glows in the dark with fairies on it, but I can. If I could make a maxi skirt again I would make sure my overlocking does not go wrong so that my hem is even because it caused a big problem when creating this skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for the comments, I will be sure to comment back.